Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Odyssey

I feel kind of like I'm on a journey that's taking me through various twists and turns to teach me life lessons along the way as I search for 1 bird....a Black-billed Cuckoo. Birding provides moments of great exhilaration and accomplishment mixed in with many other moments of frustration, disappointment and humility. I have not seen a Black-billed Cuckoo in Lake County in 4 years, and then it was only 1. So in all the time I spend birding in the spring and summer, I've seen 1 Black-billed Cuckoo in Lake County in my life.
This is tough in and of itself, but when you combine it with the fact that many other birders in the county have seen one, it starts to get personal. What am I doing wrong? Why can't I find this bird?
So for right now, birding has become all about finding the cuckoo and seeing where these adventures take me and what people and circumstances are brought before me. I'm looking forward to it, but I hope it doesn't last too long! That may be one of the main life lessons I learn from this: it's the journey and not the conclusion that is the most important in birding. Enjoy the moment.
Tomorrow I go to MacArthur Woods and DWright/Half Day FP.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment