Sunday, June 10, 2012

COLSP and Grant Woods North 6/10

I haven't really done extensive birding at COLSP in the summer, so I was kind of excited about the possibilities today. There are 4 birds that I still need that have been found in the past at COLSP, so I figured it would be a good place to go this morning.
  I started at James Rd. which runs from the park office lot due west. There are some hedgerows, forest tracts, and open fields along this little used road so there exists the possibility for some varied species. At first nothing but your common varieties, but then I saw a WILD TURKEY standing out in the open of this big field. It's about my 7th turkey this year. Amazing. As I continued down the road it entered a forested area with lots of undergrowth. It was here that I heard, then saw, a male CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER. Beautiful bird and difficult to find during the summer.
I then headed down the Goldfinch and Sunset Trails where I had 3 ORCHARD ORIOLES at various spots.....
3 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
2 Yellow-throated Vireos
and a RING-NECKED PHEASANT that I heard calling twice from 2 different locations.
  The highlight of the morning, though, came as I was biking to the end of the Deerpath Trail. As I was getting ready to cross the main road near the Pike Marsh North lot, I heard the zee-zee-zzz-ZEEEE of a CERULEAN WARBLER! One of my favorite birds, and one that I had not yet seen this year. Shortly after hearing him sing, he found his way to the outer branches and I was able to get some nice looks. Moments like these are what make birding truly awesome.

I finished the morning off with nice views of a singing SEDGE WREN
and a flyover OSPREY.
I still had a little time so I headed over to Grant Woods North and took my bike around the trails quickly. In the pines area I heard/saw a male PINE WARBLER
and heard 3 singing OVENBIRDS. singing ovenbird
At COLSP I also had 10! singing AMERICAN REDSTARTS. singing redstart
Pretty stellar morning of birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment