Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Long Weekend 6/1-6/3

   It wasn't really a long weekend "technically," but since my summer officially began at 11:00am on Friday, I included it. I had some great birds this weekend  to celebrate.
   It started on Friday around lunchtime. Amazingly, I still had not seen a hummingbird yet this year, so what better place to look for one than at a friend's hummingbird feeder. Good friend Lynda Toner graciously allowed me to sit in her gorgeous backyard and watch the orioles eat oranges and grape jelly while I waited. It wasn't long before the female showed up, but I needed a male to solidify the ID even though there's really only 1 species of hummer you would probably see at this time, or any time, in the eastern US. In any case, the male showed up after about 15min. and gave nice looks.

   On Saturday, I headed to a private location that I have been told not to make public. It's a great wetland site, and I was able to hear 1 calling Least Bittern, see 2 Black Terns, and hear YB (Year Bird) 
# 236 COMMON GALLINULE calling twice right in front of me off the path.
   Today was even better. This morning after small group I met Jim at Daniel Wright FP. I have tried on numerous occasions since the beginning of the year to call in a Barred Owl with no success. Jim has gotten them at least once, so I asked for his help. As usual, Jim delivered the goods with his calling skills and we had great looks at 3 BARRED OWLS calling and flying around us. Very cool. Then we headed over to Ryerson to search out a Broad-winged Hawk. No luck unfortunately. Jim had to get home, so we headed out. On the way out I was driving slowly with the windows down and music off so as to listen to birdsong. As I was driving out to the main entrance rd. I heard a flute-like warble with a slight up-and-down cadence so I initially was thinking it was a Rose-breasted Grosbeak. After hearing it again, though, it sounded too short and I heard a couple of burry notes. It was definitely a tanager, and sounded too clear for a Scarlet. I have experienced some variation in Scarlet songs, though, so a visual was definitely needed. The bird was singing in the dense foliage at the top of the tree next to me. No visual, though. I walked around the front of the tree and saw the bird fly to the next tree. Then I heard it singing from a tree across the road, so I walked back out to the road and saw the bird on an exposed branch right next to my car. There on the branch was a beautiful male SUMMER TANAGER singing his heart out. Awesome! I was hoping to find one here soon, so that was a great bird for me.

   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment