Saturday, February 18, 2012

Gull Frolic 2/18

Today was the annual Gull Frolic hosted by the Winthrop Harbor Yacht Club and the IOS. Unfortunately the gulls that were there were either flying around or were in the middle of the south docks and backlit by bright sunshine. In either case, they were very difficult for me to ID, so I didn't spend much time looking at them. However, there were a couple of nice non-gull sightings. The best of these by far was my FOY SNOWY OWL (LCYB #94). I've been looking for this owl for the past month and a half so this was a very welcome sighting, indeed. She was sitting on the north break wall very near the harbor mouth.
   There was also a female-type SURF SCOTER in the harbor along with 2 AMERICAN BLACK DUCK and the more common birds. While we were watching the scoter, someone called out some flybys, and we were able to get nice looks at 4 fairly close WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS.
   At Lyons woods I had nice looks at 3 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES. Unfortunately I didn't hear any crossbills or finches of any kind. The Snowy was a nice gift from God, though. Tough to beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment