Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Peregrine......At Last!


On Greenwood Ave. in Waukegan is a Com Ed plant of some sort. At least that's what everyone calls it. It certainly isn't a nuclear power plant, So I'm not sure what it actually is. I know this, though. For the past 5 years that I've been birding, other Lake County birders, mostly Jim, have told me about how Peregrine Falcons nest on top of this building. I have seen them twice. Both times were during our Christmas Bird Count on Jan 1. This year we did not see them, however, so the question begged, were they still here? Apparently other birder's saw them on Jan. 1, and Jim was able to find them last week some time. I, however, had looked at least 6 times trying to find them and whiffed. I checked from Greenwood Ave., from the beach, from the yacht club parking lot, and any other spot I could think of and got nothing...nada....zippo. I figured Jim was pulling a fast one on me. Not really, but it was frustrating. Finally, last night on my way to the Lake County jail for bible study I stopped to check again. I drove down Greenwood Ave. and as I was slowly approaching the near smokestack, I saw a bird perched on the railing. Sure enough, it was a PEREGRINE FALCON #233.

No comments:

Post a Comment