Sunday, January 29, 2012

COLSP Raptors 1/29

At 8:00am this morning, there was a blizzard. At 8:45 the sun was out. The wind continued throughout the day, unfortunately, for the 2nd consecutive day. This ruined an otherwise beautiful day. I hate wind so I battled the elements for a couple of hours and came home.
  At Volo the feeders were busy with the regulars. The best bird here was a cruising sub-adult male NORTHERN HARRIER. Also had nice looks at 2 SWAMP SPARROWS. On to COLSP.
  At the Chain, there were lots of raptors. I saw 2 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS (dark juvenile, light male), 3 E. Red-tailed Hawks (1 juv, 2 adult), 2 SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS, and 1 juv. BALD EAGLE. Also saw 3 BROWN CREEPERS and 1 FIELD SPARROW. Pretty sure I heard a WW Crossbill fly over me near the spruces in the parking area, but, of course, I didn't see anything and only heard the call once.
light morph adult male Rough-legged Hawk

Unfortunately, no new year birds today, but a good day nonetheless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment