Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Least is the Most

Least Bitterns are small and very tough to see. Fortunately you can get them to respond to an imitation of their call. Yesterday I headed out to Spring Bluff FP in Winthrop Harbor to see if I could hear a calling Least. I got there at around 5am. Leasts are mostly nocturnal, though they are active early in the am as well. I parked in the North Point Marina Skipper Bud's parking area and walked the closed road south a ways. I played the call twice but got no response. I decided to just drive along the N/S entrance rd. and play the call a couple of times that way since it would carry better.  After hitting my 3rd spot along the road, I heard the clear "coo-coo-coo" of, not one, but 2 LEAST BITTERNS! Woohoo!
least bittern

No comments:

Post a Comment